Wednesday 29 August 2012

Spec Ops: The Line Anti Aliasing NVIDIA

UPDATE:  After completing my PC upgrade I installed this again with the same settings as below for AA.  I noticed it would flicker every few seconds as mentioned below when I turned on SGSSAA.  The flicker is a result of the vsync cap being hit and then dropping a frame momentarily.  For some reason the MSAA that is forced bugs out for that one dropped frame causing any aliasing to appear for that split second, hence the flickering.  To fix this go back into Inspector and set a frame cap at your screen refresh rate -2fps.  So for mine it is capped at 58fps.  Technically this means that you could have SGSSAA turned on without having any flicker, but in my experiments it actually looked worse than 4xMSAA + FXAA.

Here are my settings:



Spec Ops has no in game AA options, and whilst FXAA works from the  NVIDIA control panel, it could use some MSAA. 

I've done a quick google search and nothing has pointed to the AA bit for ME2 and ME3.  So here it is (click for enlargement):







No AA







FXAA







 4xMSAA
















 4xMSAA + FXAA












Use AA bits 0x080100C5 for the Spec Ops profile in NVIDIA Inspector and add then force your choice of MSAA in.  I used 4x.  I also added FXAA to smooth out whatever was left.  Turns out much better than either by themselves.  Look closely at the flag pole and ropes to see the biggest differences.  DO NOT use SGSSAA as it causes a flickering mess of things.  If you need transparency anti aliasing just use 4x supersampled instead.

4 comments:

  1. its not working for me plz help

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is your inspector profile exactly like the screenshot above?

      Delete
  2. Just wanted to say thank you for this guide. Game looks great with a bit of AA applied.

    ReplyDelete